1. The fastest train in the world is Japan’s new maglev bullet train.
2. In Japan sex ratio is 0.95.
3. Education is compulsory only for the nine years of elementary and middle school but still 98% of students go to high school in Japan.
4. In Japan the black cats are believed to bring good luck.
5. Only 2% people in Japan are immigrants.
6. The literacy rate of Japan is 99% for the population over 15 years of age which means almost all the people in Japan can read and write.
7. Japanese farmers produce square watermelons for the ease of storing and transportation.
8. There are 118 volcanoes in Japan which outlasts number of volcanoes in any other country and makes about 10% of world’s total number of volcanoes.
9. The life expectancy of the Japanese people is 83 years, which is more than that of the Americans, which is 81 years.
10. The total number of islands in Japan are 6852. Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu, and Shikoku are four main islands of the country.
11. With 126,984,711 people as of February 2019, Japan has the eleventh largest population in the world.
12. Tokyo which is the capital of Japan is the largest city in the world by land area, population and density.
13. Sumo wrestling is Japan’s national sport but baseball is Japan’s most popular spectator sport.
14. The most preferred beverage in Japan is o-cha (お茶; green tea), which is served hot or cold depending on the season and time of year.
15. The unemployment rate in Japan is just 4%.
16. About 60% of the animated shows are produced in Japan, making it the leading country to do so.
17. The world’s largest wholesale fish and seafood market is the Tsukiji fish market of Japan.
18. ‘Nihon’ or ‘Nippon’ is the Japanese name for Japan which means “the sun’s origin”. It can be translated as ‘the Land of the Rising Sun’.
19. The highest point is Mount Fuji in Japan, which stands at 3,776 m.
20. Japan is known as an industrial nation as it produces world-class machines, electronics and vehicles.
21. Robotics is the main sphere of talent in Japan and they are known around the world for ASIMO– the world’s most advanced humanoid robot.
22. Sushi, Sashimi and Tempura are among well known Japanese cuisines all over the world.
23. Japan experiences about 1500 earthquakes every year.
24. Rice is most commonly eaten in Japan as a major part of their diet. Do not be surprised if you find Japanese eating rice even in the breakfast.
25. One of the most popular food in Japan is raw horse meat.
26. Coffee is imported in large number from Jamaica and is extremely popular in Japan.
27. Japan is the largest automobile producer in the world.
28. Approximately 50,000 people in Japan are at least 100 years old.
29. Kimigayo is Japan’s national anthem and it is the world’s shortest anthem with a length of 11 measures and just 32 characters.
30. Japan’s Tsunami hit areas of 2011 were found to have ancient stone tablets with inscriptions that said “do not build your homes below this point”.